Special notice | Animal Control Advisory Committee Update
SNYP was asked to join a special Animal Control Advisory Committee by request of the Jackson County Enviornmental Health Department in early January. The purposed of the committee is to develop recommendations for short-term and long-term solutions that address the problems of too many stray, feral, and abandoned cats in Jackson County, the inability of the existing animal shelters in Jackson County to handle all of those cats, and spay/neuter solutions.
Taskforce members include:
- Jackson Baures, Jackson County Environmental Health
- Colleen Macuk, Jackson County Animal Care & Control
- Barbara Talbert, Friends of the Animal Shelter (FOTAS)
- Kenn Altine, Southern Oregon Humane Society (SOHS)
- Vicki Chamberlain and Sally Mackler, Spay Neuter Your Pet (SNYP)
- Jan Whetstone, Committed Alliance to Strays (CATS)
Topics being addressed by the taskforce:
- Regulations: Evaluate and recommend changes to County ordinances and shelter practices that would improve status of cats
- Education: Evaluate and recommend education opportunities and programs on the topics of responsible pet ownership, County ordinances and spay/neuter practicies.
- Pet overpopulation: Evaluate and recommend programs to reduce pet over population, pet abandonment and feral issues with a goal of reducing the number of animals coming into shelters.
- Care and training: Evaluate and recommend opportunities for improved care of cats and dogs in local shelters, including training and animal assessment techniques.
To find our more about taskforce members please visit their websites at: